Friendarin

12 May, 2015

5 Ways To Ask "Where Are You From?" In Chinese

The most common way to ask another person's nationality is as follows: 
你是哪国人? – Nǐ shì nǎ guó rén? – What country are you from? (What is your nationality?) 

The "pattern" of the answer: 
Subject + 是 + Name of country + 人 

E. g., 
我是英国人。 – Wǒ shì yīng guó rén. – I am from the UK. (I am Briton.) 
她是德国人。 – Tā shì dé guó rén. – She is from Germany. (She is German.) 
他是法国人。 – Tā shì fà guó rén. – He is from France. (He is French.) 
我朋友是澳大利亚人。 – Wǒ péng yǒu shì ào dà lì yǎ rén. – My friend is from Australia. (My friend is Australian.) 
马克是加拿大人。 – Mǎ kè shì jiā ná dà rén. – Mark is from Canada. (Mark is Canadian.) 


5 ways to ask "Where are you from?" in Chinese


Alternative Ways To Ask "Where Are You From?" In Chinese



你是从哪儿来的? – nǐ shì cóng nǎ'er lái de – Where did you come from? 
我是从泰国来的。 – wǒ shì cóng tàiguó lái de – I come from Thailand. 

你来自哪个国家? – nǐ lái zì nǎ ge guó jiā? – What country are you from? 
我来自美国。 – wǒ lái zì měi guó – I am from the United States. 

你来自哪里? – nǐ lái zì nǎ lǐ – Where are you from? 
我来自北京。 – wǒ lái zì běi jīng – I come from Beijing.

When Chinese people ask each other about their hometowns, they most likely refer to their parents' birthplace.

你是哪儿人? – Nǐ shì nǎ'er rén? – Where are you from? 
我是上海人。 – Wǒ shì shànghǎi rén. – I am from Shanghai. 

No comments:

Post a Comment