Friendarin

21 June, 2015

"Sleeping In Hot Weather" Joke (With Grammar Points)


A: 这么热,你怎么睡得着啊? 
zhè me rè, nǐ zěn me shuì de zháo a 
It is so hot! How can you get to sleep? 

B: 热晕过去就睡着了。 
rè yūn guò qù jiù shuì zháo le 
Faint from heat and then fall asleep. 

See below the grammar notes for this joke!

这么 (zhè me) / 那么 (nà me) With Adjectives

这么 (zhè me) / 那么 (nà me) is placed before adjectives to increase their extent: 

Subject (can be omitted) + 这么/那么 + Adjective 

她这么漂亮! 
tā zhè me piào liang 
She is so beautiful! 
这么热! 
zhè me rè 
So hot! 

NOTE: What is the difference between 这么 and 那么?
这么 is mainly used when the object is close by. If it is far from you, it would be more natural to use 那么. 


Asking “How to” with 怎么 

怎么 (zěn me) is one of the Chinese question words. It is used to ask how. One of the most common ways of using 怎么 (zěn me): 

Subject (can be omitted) + 怎么(zěn me) + Verb + Object 

你怎么睡得着? 
nǐ zěn me shuì de zháo 
How can you get to sleep? 
他怎么做这道菜? 
tā zěn me zuò zhè dào cài 
How does he cook this dish? 

Subject can be omitted or replaced with an object: 
怎么办? 
zěn me bàn 
How to do? 
这个中文怎么说? 
zhè ge zhōng wén zěn me shuō 
How to say this in Chinese?

1 comment:

  1. "It's a rather interesting topic. We can pick up some life experience from here. It's a common knowledge that it's hard to bring up your kids. Moreover, if you combine your social life with studying, it's super hard. If you are looking where to buy a term paper online this site will meet all your requirements.my adventure tips
    "

    ReplyDelete